Thursday, September 16, 2004

Seasons Passing

Fall coming to Bowen Island. It's a very strange sensation. This is the first change of season I've experienced somewhere other than in southern Ontario. I guess this means I'm really living here, and not just visiting! The golden and red sugar maples are conspicuously absent here. OK, the arbutus trees make up for it with their bare, sensuous branches and fat, glossy leaves. The kids are back at school - a NEW school - and all the lessons and activities are starting up. They have made a lot of new friends, which is a relief. It helps a lot when you are missing old friends. I'm hoping we will settle into a routine soon, because right now it just seems as if we are rushing from one place to another with barely a moment to breathe. Luckily my twice daily ferry commute allows me time to take a deep breath and enjoy the scenery. I feel like a tourist when I board the ferry, because I still spend most crossings on the top deck, braving the wind and watching the mist rise from the mountains. I hope the excitement I feel being surrounded by mountains and ocean never wears off!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne, my family is right on your heels -- we are moving to the rock next summer, around about july 04. Been planning it for two years. Our kids are too young for IPS - 2.5 and 10 mos - but one of the teachers there is an old friend. Would love to pick your brain about how it's been going for you and your family so far, if you're game. hope to hear from you!

James
james@glave.com

12:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are in San Diego and looking to move to Victoria or Vancouver areas (politics). We have 2 daughters; 2 years and 2 weeks old. I have been reading with interest these recent moves to Bowen Island. I am from Toronto and Valerie is from Liverpool. Seems Bowen Island may have more in common (weather wise) with Liverpool than with Toronto.

pharvey@peterharvey.org

11:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home